Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

1 of 2
Women allowed to go topless in New York
Posted: 17 August 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7472
Joined  2008-04-05

So, if this is legal now, is it a moral issue? If not I don’t see how the length of a womans skirt would be either.

As long as women do not make sexual advances while topless, it has been ruled legal.

Hmm…..short video from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/topvideos/2012/08/17/dr-drew-woman-goes-topless-on-streets-of-new-york.hln

Signature 

“Religion is to be understood psychologically not theologically”

Peter Watson

Posted: 17 August 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12247
Joined  2007-03-11

Yes, it’s a moral issue. The first time you see an 85 year-old woman go topless, you’ll agree.

What about bottomless?  Is that a moral issue?  Goodnight, what an ugly world it would be.  But I suppose there would be bright spots.  grin

Posted: 17 August 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8309
Joined  2010-01-29

I went to a nude beach once.  I came to the conclusion that most people, including myself, look better with their clothes on.  My husband was much more freaked out than I was.  While we were sitting on our blanket, a man strolled over and stood by my husband, with his genitals flapping in the gentle breeze about a foot from my husband’s face.  My husband’s features turned to stone and he gazed straight ahead at the ocean with so much intensity that I thought he might burst a blood vessel   I enjoyed swimming nude, but I developed an irrational fear that a tiny fish or seaweed would float up into my private parts, so I kept my legs crossed, which defeated the purpose of swimming without a suit on.  However, my breasts did enjoy the feeling of floating in the water, weightless.

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 17 August 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7472
Joined  2008-04-05

Why is it a moral issue? Many men have expressed to me that they are turned on more by women who are barely or suggestively dressed than naked women.

How do we decide what is moral as far as clothing goes? Or non-clothing?

Signature 

“Religion is to be understood psychologically not theologically”

Peter Watson

Posted: 17 August 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3663
Joined  2006-12-08

Moira Johnston explains why she goes topless:

My mother was a breast cancer survivor so I feel that the work that I’m doing is applicable to people who are patients of breast cancer and survivors because maybe if women were able to show their breasts more they would feel more comfortable with their breasts and maybe that has to do with diseases in our society.

If she had perkier tits I probably wouldn’t have paid any attention to what she was saying. But this sounds pretty dubious to me.

Actually, because it’s so unusual some people think that I’m insane and, uh, there was like a paramedic that pulled me over the other day, but I’m actually mentally totally sound and healthy. So, like, what I’m doing just happens to be not socially, um, normal.

Signature 

Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia—the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death, before they breed more hemophiliacs. -Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted: 17 August 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
saralynn - 17 August 2012 04:19 PM

I went to a nude beach once.  I came to the conclusion that most people, including myself, look better with their clothes on.  My husband was much more freaked out than I was.  While we were sitting on our blanket, a man strolled over and stood by my husband, with his genitals flapping in the gentle breeze about a foot from my husband’s face.  My husband’s features turned to stone and he gazed straight ahead at the ocean with so much intensity that I thought he might burst a blood vessel   I enjoyed swimming nude, but I developed an irrational fear that a tiny fish or seaweed would float up into my private parts, so I kept my legs crossed, which defeated the purpose of swimming without a suit on.  However, my breasts did enjoy the feeling of floating in the water, weightless.

The VAST majority of people look better with their clothes on.  That’s why it’s a moral issue. Most of us would make people toss their cookies.  If not now, wait 20 years.  You’ll get plenty ugly. Why inflict damage and sickness on others?  It’s immoral to be nude unless you really rock, which almost nobody does.

I can tell you some horror stories of people who had stuff migrate up their genitalia.  It’s also a health issue.  Think “necrotizing fasciitis.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

Posted: 17 August 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11855
Joined  2008-02-15

Morality = the consensus of personal preferences of a group = moral relativism.

If people decide woman going topless is immoral then it is.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
The Way of the Mister, Vol. 1: Reparative Therapy

Posted: 18 August 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
GAD - 17 August 2012 11:07 PM

At least you are consistent, GAD. I have to give you that. Quite admirable.

Posted: 18 August 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23
saralynn - 17 August 2012 04:19 PM

I’ve been to nude beaches on several occasions. Some of what I saw was old and ugly. Some was young and beautiful. Most was just unremarkable. I guess that working as a nurse for so many years made me blase about human bodies. I think nudity is only a moral question for people who want it to be.

However, i can’t say I thoroughly enjoy nude beaches. While I am unphased by other people’s bodies I get all self-conscious about my own. I’m fine sitting on the beach but find it a challenge to get up and walk across the beach to the water without my swimming trunks on. I end up putting them on, walking to the water and taking them off when I get in. Feels great in the water. Then I have to put them back on to get back to my towel on the beach. Not sure why I find this difficult.  The other thing I find disconcerting is that some men seem to get a kick out of walking around with erections. It makes me feel uncomfortable to see that. I don’t know why. I guess I think about how embarassed I would feel to walk around sporting a stiffy. I simply couldn’t do it.

The thing is, though, that if people don’t like to see that stuff they don’t have to go to those very few beaches where nudity is allowed. Nudity in other public places is more problematic. It’s not really a moral question. There are just a lot of practical difficulties associated with it in western cultures. Many indigenous cultures in hot climates have no problem with it at all.

Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8309
Joined  2010-01-29

Rob: The thing is, though, that if people don’t like to see that stuff they don’t have to go to those very few beaches where nudity is allowed. Nudity in other public places is more problematic. It’s not really a moral question. There are just a lot of practical difficulties associated with it in western cultures. Many indigenous cultures in hot climates have no problem with it at all.

The beach I went to was in St Maartin.  I nagged my husband into going with me.  Part of it was prurient; part of it was curiousity.  I wanted to know what it felt like to sit on a beach nude.  Fortunately, we didn’t see any men with erections because my husband wouldn’t have been able to handle it psychologically. He’s not uptight about gay-ness or anything like that.  It’s totally related to embarrassment.  I mean, if you think about it, straight men rarely see other men’s penises.

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23

Yes, I think I understand your hubby’s difficulty. Poor guy would probably run a mile if he saw a stiffy coming towards him. As I said, I too (even though I’m gay) feel uncomfortable seeing unclothed erections in public. Women are lucky in that respect - nothing shows on the outside even if they are voyeristically excited by what’s in front of them. And men’s bits and pieces are much more vulnerable, exposed. It makes sense in most situations to cover them up. Even many indigenous tribes in hot places wear gourds or some other minimal covering over the family jewels.

Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

Posted: 18 August 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3935
Joined  2012-01-31
Epaminondas - 17 August 2012 01:13 PM

So, if this is legal now, is it a moral issue? If not I don’t see how the length of a womans skirt would be either.

As long as women do not make sexual advances while topless, it has been ruled legal.

Hmm…..short video from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/topvideos/2012/08/17/dr-drew-woman-goes-topless-on-streets-of-new-york.hln

This chick’s facial expressions exude the joy she’s getting from her 15 minutes of fame. Regardless, it’s interesting. Society is still offended toward the visual of our sex organs (cock and bulls and the V), but the boobs are a grey area because men can reveal our chests? I wonder how the court handle public arousal, insult, and the difference in anatomy. The court concluded that society need not be insulted or aroused, and if it is, oh well? They must have made a good case for her comfort level being reasonable enough to outweigh or equal others, right? Talk about a tough law to police if it catches on.

[ Edited: 18 August 2012 06:48 AM by jb8989 ]
 Signature 

I’m 100% sure god doesn’t exist.

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  2007-12-19

What’s 50/50, amoral (not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral)?

Moira is a topless dancer.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 20 August 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
Answerer - 20 August 2012 07:15 AM

What’s 50/50, amoral (not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral)?

50/50 is not a consensus or a majority, in which case it’s undecided.

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass

Posted: 20 August 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  2007-12-19
GAD - 20 August 2012 07:49 AM

Well, I suppose, that is, if you relinquish your ability to decide for yourself (quantity vs quality) whether it requires deciding (ie, amoral). Sounds agnostic. Has your Atheism also been decided for you?

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 20 August 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-15
Answerer - 20 August 2012 08:56 AM
GAD - 20 August 2012 07:49 AM

Well, I suppose, that is, if you relinquish your ability to decide for yourself (quantity vs quality) whether it requires deciding (ie, amoral). Sounds agnostic. Has your Atheism also been decided for you?

Sorry, I have no idea what point you are trying to make with this.

Signature 

Kissing Hank’s Ass

1 of 2