Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

Multiple Orgasms Are One Thing…
Posted: 03 March 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8254
Joined  2010-01-29

but Multiple Personality Disorder is another.

Now that I have your attention…..

I’ve been trying to figure out if Multiple Personality Disorder is a bunch of hooey.  It strikes me as so, but I may be wrong.  I recently heard that the story of “Sybil” was a complete fraud. I haven’t made much progress on Google.

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14478
Joined  2007-07-20

MPD is a matter of some disagreement.  I’ve had several professional contacts with my then staff claiming that this person, an adult female, was an MPD.  She expressed “different” personalities, depending on the evoking situation. The staff was most excited, and video-taped various sessions.  Quite soon, this one person was using 18% of our clinic’s resources, and I ended that expenditure.  This person exhibited 3 or 4 “personalities,”  all female.  I am convinced that gullible staff notwithstanding, these are instrumental behaviors expressed in order to elicit specific responses from others.  By the same narcissistic person who is (1) usually female, (2) above average in intelligence, (3) with superior verbal expressive skills, (4) who does not have close nor lasting relationships with other adults, and (4) whose “personalities” are expressed as a manipulative ploy. 

This same person was the subject of a 3 AM emergency on-call situation in which she’d made some slashes on her wrists (not life threatening).  I happened to be on call and responded to local ER.  “She” wanted to be hospitalized at the local hospital’s quite nice psychiatric floor; I refused and instead assigned her to a state facility in the adjoining county.  All of a sudden “Mary,” or whatever name she was using at the time, vanished, and her given name emerged, quite angry. 

So, romantic and idealistic people excepting, MPD is to me nothing more than as stated a narcissistic person trying to manipulate others.

Signature 

Religion is good for one thing: making you feel better while someone else rules you.  Religion is more a reflection than a cause of conflicts. The causes lie in conflicting cultural mores and traits.

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8719
Joined  2004-12-24

It’s been known as dissociative identity disorder for a while now.

You may do better finding out about our current understanding looking into that rather than MPD.

Signature 

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”—Albert Einstein

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9043
Joined  2006-12-17

But if it’s real and Mary has an orgasm is it shared by Jane and Phyllis and Jackie?  Or do they all have to get off on their own.  That could lead to some internal dissent over who gets to come out, so to speak.

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  2007-12-19
burt - 03 March 2012 03:34 PM

But if it’s real and Mary has an orgasm is it shared by Jane and Phyllis and Jackie?  Or do they all have to get off on their own.  That could lead to some internal dissent over who gets to come out, so to speak.

That’s where the train stops.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 03 March 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

I think I would be very good at pretending I had multiple personality disorder. I can even do a British accent.  I think you may be right, Dennis, but I’ll do as SX recommends and check out dissociative identity disorder.

Actually, it all started because someone gave me a CD of lecture by Bruce Lipton.  He wrote a book called “the Biology of Belief”. Anyone ever hear of him?  Anyway, I got 15 minutes into it and he claimed that the eyes of people afflicted with multiple personality change color when they switch personalities. So, I got distracted on Google and haven’t had time to return to the lecture.  I suspect he might be an idiot.  However, he is a cellular biologist, so who knows?  When I googled his name, I mostly found airhead websites or references to his own site. I gather he is very popular.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
saralynn - 03 March 2012 04:23 PM

I think I would be very good at pretending I had multiple personality disorder. I can even do a British accent.  I think you may be right, Dennis, but I’ll do as SX recommends and check out dissociative identity disorder.

Actually, it all started because someone gave me a CD of lecture by Bruce Lipton.  He wrote a book called “the Biology of Belief”. Anyone ever hear of him?  Anyway, I got 15 minutes into it and he claimed that the eyes of people afflicted with multiple personality change color when they switch personalities. So, I got distracted on Google and haven’t had time to return to the lecture.  I suspect he might be an idiot.  However, he is a cellular biologist, so who knows?  When I googled his name, I mostly found airhead websites or references to his own site. I gather he is very popular.

Simple answer:  Bullshit

Signature 

Religion is good for one thing: making you feel better while someone else rules you.  Religion is more a reflection than a cause of conflicts. The causes lie in conflicting cultural mores and traits.

Posted: 03 March 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8719
Joined  2004-12-24
Dennis Campbell - 03 March 2012 04:37 PM
saralynn - 03 March 2012 04:23 PM

Simple answer:  Bullshit

Sure sounds like it.

Signature 

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”—Albert Einstein

Posted: 03 March 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

OMG!  The woman who gave me the lecture wants me to help her do some psychological energy healing!  She’s been studying Lipton and she knows how to do it, but she can’t afford to go to a practitioner.  Apparently you need a partner.  It is something like kinesthesiology.

Here is what that guy Lipton says about these techiques…

” In addition, we can use a variety of new energy psychology modalities that enable a rapid and profound reprogramming of limiting subconscious beliefs. These are forms of Superlearning that open and integrate both hemispheres of the brain at the same time, allowing us to re-write our subconscious programs. Using these processes that are mechanistically similar to pushing the record program on the subconscious mind’s tape player, we are able to release the limiting perceptions, beliefs and self-sabotaging behaviors.

Energy psychology modalities include Psych-K, Holographic Repatterning, EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) and BodyTalk.

She is especially interested in EFT.

My husband is right.  Why do I always have to befriend defective people?

I have to say no to her, but this makes me sad because she is so enthusiastic.  I wish she were a Christian.  It would be so much easier.  I’d hand her off to my religious sister.

On the other hand, maybe I can quit tutoring and become an energy healer.  I bet it pays well.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Sara:

Repeat, Bullshit.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-01-26

What’s an “Emotional Freedom Technique?”

Posted: 03 March 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9043
Joined  2006-12-17
Dennis Campbell - 03 March 2012 06:01 PM

Sara:

Repeat, Bullshit.

You’re only saying that because it would interfere with your popcorn concession.  Come on Sara, we’ll start doing psychic-energy-freedom transmission healing at $250 a pop.  We can do it over the internet with our powers of electro-neural-akashic attention direction.

Posted: 03 March 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3217
Joined  2009-05-28

To the degree that its a real condition and not just a device in bad fiction:

When described as a disorder is this to say that having one personality is the healthy default? Or is the disorder simply the failure to modulate ones separate personalities in a profitable way? I mean, we all have multiple personalities right? Changing modes of behavior in response to the variety of social challenges we face. Or is MPD like schizophrenia. Are the separate personalities oblivious to one another? Or is it just like some emotional problem where someone can’t adapt at will?

Signature 

Deepak, could we just dial it down?

Posted: 03 March 2012 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3995
Joined  2010-08-18
Dennis Campbell - 03 March 2012 03:13 PM

So, romantic and idealistic people excepting, MPD is to me nothing more than as stated a narcissistic person trying to manipulate others.

I think there has to be something in what your saying here Dennis, I have also heard arguments that dissociative identity disorder can in many cases be iatrogenic, resulting from the activity of physicians and taken on and used by the patient involved. 
I can’t say I have dealt with anyone with this condition, but I can see why it generates interest.

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 04 March 2012 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11793
Joined  2008-02-15

Sara:

Repeat, Bullshit.

Get off my cloud, Dennis.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
The Way of the Mister, Vol. 1: Reparative Therapy

Posted: 04 March 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
burt - 03 March 2012 07:59 PM

Sara:

Repeat, Bullshit.

You’re only saying that because it would interfere with your popcorn concession.  Come on Sara, we’ll start doing psychic-energy-freedom transmission healing at $250 a pop.  We can do it over the internet with our powers of electro-neural-akashic attention direction.

I’ll have you know that my popcorn commission is automatic.  It’s just that it seems not right to make so much money on junk.

Gad, sorry, didn’t realize you had property rights on this cloud.

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

If it doesn’t take up a lot of time, I might help the woman.  I think that all I will be required to do is push and pull various parts of her body and stimulate her brain by making certain specified movements in front of her eyes. She is feeling miserable about herself and her life, so maybe the placebo effect might be helpful.

But, I’m definitely not going to do it if it is time-consuming. 

As for Multiple Personality Disorder, I haven’t researched it yet.  As usual, I will start with “Quackwatch”

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2011-12-09
saralynn - 04 March 2012 07:10 AM

If it doesn’t take up a lot of time, I might help the woman.  I think that all I will be required to do is push and pull various parts of her body and stimulate her brain by making certain specified movements in front of her eyes. She is feeling miserable about herself and her life, so maybe the placebo effect might be helpful.

But, I’m definitely not going to do it if it is time-consuming. 

As for Multiple Personality Disorder, I haven’t researched it yet.  As usual, I will start with “Quackwatch”

Or, you could encourage her to seek actual help….just saying.

Signature 

The first thirty minutes of mockery are free.  Thereafter, normal rates apply.