Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

Where Islam went wrong
Posted: 05 February 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7472
Joined  2008-04-05

Was probably the denial of the printing press, and the restriction of the importation of books and the ideas contained within them.

Interesting. This was stated by Steven Pinker in his latest book, ‘The Better Angels Of Our Nature’

Signature 

“Religion is to be understood psychologically not theologically”

Peter Watson

Posted: 05 February 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  2007-12-19

Their first mistake was paying attention to a hallucinating nut-bag warrior and pedophile who holed up in a cave claiming visions and messages from God in order to hi-jack the Judeo-Christian religion and start one to his own liking with him at the helm.  Technically, as far as I’m concerned, they should all be Jewish. One God-One Religion.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 06 February 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12003
Joined  2007-03-11
Answerer - 05 February 2012 01:33 PM

Their first mistake was paying attention to a hallucinating nut-bag warrior and pedophile who holed up in a cave claiming visions and messages from God in order to hi-jack the Judeo-Christian religion and start one to his own liking with him at the helm.  Technically, as far as I’m concerned, they should all be Jewish. One God-One Religion.

You really want 3.5 billion Jews running around?

Posted: 06 February 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2006-10-20
Ecurb Noselrub - 06 February 2012 11:17 AM

So which is it?  Am I losing my edge in not hitting this slow lob out of the park or am I growing up?

Maybe I should wait until after a martini to answer my question.

Posted: 06 February 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1111
Joined  2010-01-26
Ecurb Noselrub - 06 February 2012 11:17 AM
Answerer - 05 February 2012 01:33 PM

So, what’s your problem with 3.5 billion plus one opinions? Not enough neurons to go around?

Signature 

Those who stand on the shoulders of giants should not complain about the view. ohh