Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

1 of 4
my theory of personality types
Posted: 14 January 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-01-14

Hello, My name is Kimani Shorter and I’m promoting my theory of personality types. This is a summary of my theory and the three types I came up with. It reconfigures some of Carl Jung’s archetypes and some of the types found on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) into something new.

The Triad Quantum

Math can be used to understand the human condition. Metaphysics and modern psychology are explored using a formula. This formula transcends those beliefs.

Archetypes are primal symbols of people. These same archetypes are building blocks in determining personalities. Many individual archetypes are found in people at the same time / over a lifetime. These archetypes separately show fragments of people’s unconscious minds. These archetypes combined display a large part or portion of the unconscious mind. When organized into groups of two they spell out psychological conditions. What seems random at first becomes very familiar when placed in a different context.

There are six archetypes in this equation. Each archetype represents a distinctive trait. The Child relies upon others. The Hero is troubled. The Mother is empathetic and comforting. The Shadow is a symbol of apathy. The Trickster lacks morals and standards. The Wise Old Man is insightful.

The six archetypes are divided into three sets. There are two archetypes in each set. The combination of the two archetypes in each set results in a model for psychological conditions. What makes people unique and special is determined by what archetypes are found in them the most.

My theory believes that certain specific archetypes can be applied to the disorder or condition that you have. I’ve taken six of Carl Jung’s archetypes and paired each two of them together. The two archetypes are then matched to several disorders because of their equivalency. The end result is three distinct types. Each type is defined by two archetypes.

The insightful nature of the Wise Old Man archetype and the troubled nature of the Hero archetype are equivalent to the brilliant but withdrawn nature of people with Asperger’s and Bipolar Disorder.

The devoted nature of the Mother archetype and the vulnerable nature of the Child archetype are equivalent to the nurturing dependent nature of people with Codependency Personality Disorder, Dependent Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder. The apathetic nature of the Shadow archetype and the sneaky nature of the The Trickster archetype are equivalent to the apathetic manipulative nature of people with Narcissistic Personality disorder, Borderline personality disorder, Histrionic personality disorder and Sociopathy.

There are eleven psychological conditions / types used in this concept. They are Asperger’s Syndrome, Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2, Cyclothymia, Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, and Sociopathy. The similar elements of these conditions unify them. They form an entity. These entities are used to define an individual. A person will gravitate towards one of these three entities much more than any of the others.

Artistry Professionalism Opportunism

The Designer The Professional The Charmer

The Designer

Archetypes:
The Hero - troubled
The Wise Old Man - profound
Tendencies: withdrawn, creative / insightful
Dominant Capabilities: composing, equating, calculating
Conditions: Asperger’s Syndrome, Bipolar Spectrum

The Professional

Archetypes:
The Child - dependency, vulnerable
The Mother - nurturing, devoted
Tendencies: generosity, dedication, sacrifice, humility
Dominant Capabilities: consoling, comforting, compromising
Conditions: Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent

The Charmer

Archetypes:
The Shadow - apathy
The Trickster - devious, sneaky
Tendencies: impulsive, manipulative, hateful
Dominant Capabilities: enticing, seducing, tempting, exploiting
Conditions: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, Sociopathy

Posted: 14 January 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8619
Joined  2006-12-17

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

Posted: 14 January 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3874
Joined  2010-08-18

It’s not ringing any bells of affirmation with me.
I work everyday with people displaying differing behaviours, all of them due to those syndromes you describe.
I find having specific more in depth Knowledge of any particular syndrome more helpful than relating them to another more vague analogy.

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 15 January 2012 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-14

Thanks for the feedback

It’s interesting that you would say that because on another forum someone else had a totally different reply to my theory.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53181&p=1765536

“I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. “

Posted: 15 January 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3874
Joined  2010-08-18
Kimani - 15 January 2012 12:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback

It’s interesting that you would say that because on another forum someone else had a totally different reply to my theory.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53181&p=1765536

“I like your focus on disorders and coping mechanisms-it helps us recognize our flaws and get past them. “

I suppose it also depends upon the intended use of your theory, looking at personalities of people in the broader sense, or being really specific with it’s intended use.
Others opinions here will differ, as with any theory or invention.
So who is it intended for?

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 15 January 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-14

Well I would like to have my concept used in the same way/capacity that the Myers Briggs theory is used. So I guess I’m kind of aiming for the same population. My theory gets compared to the Myers Briggs theory.

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7910
Joined  2010-01-29

I think you should write a book about your theory and it would be an instant bestseller.  People are fascinated by personality tests.  They don’t interest me because what I think I know about myself and what I really know about myself are often quite different.  I’d much prefer a test that involved other’s people assessment of me than my own assessment of myself because it would probably be more accurate.  Now THAT would be interesting.

Actually, I’ve reached the point in life where analyzing myself is a bit of a bore.  I appreciate finding out why and how my thinking is screwed up, but studying myself as an object doesn’t appeal to me.  In fact, the less I think about myself the happier I am. 

I therefore will not buy the book you may write, but, trust me, there are plenty of people who will.

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 15 January 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7472
Joined  2008-04-05

A little condescending there sara? His book will be an instant best seller, but you won’t buy it because you know better?

wink

Signature 

“Religion is to be understood psychologically not theologically”

Peter Watson

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2009-05-12

Cool, roleplaying! I get to be a level 99 dark elf sorcerer, yes? That okay with you, Dungeon Master?

[ Edited: 15 January 2012 07:34 AM by JayD ]

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13746
Joined  2007-07-20

There are a number of personality constructs, perhaps one of the better ones being the 5-factor theory, as it was derived from an objective factor analysis rather than from some a priori theory.  However, the issue is the utility or predictive ability of any personality construct, math models notwithstanding.  We know from observations across decades of a person’s life that people’s particular syndrome of traits, such as described by the MMPI, tend to remain dominant throughout that person’s life.  The etiology of those syndromes remains largely conjectural, it is most likely a combination of genetics and conditioning; no matter, much past the age of 6 or so, the basic dominant traits become evident and stay that way throughout life.  If and as any formulation of dominant traits, any “model,” is objective and reliable and has some use in both selection, management and prediction of individuals, then it is useful.  Something like the 16PF, CPI, MMPI, Personality Research Form, and others can be of some use in making decisions about people.  The “number” of “basic types” is perhaps arbitrary, but likely finite, I’ve seen that go from 5 to 18, with various subtypes.  Again, the ways any types are measured need to be subject to the usual test construction criteria of reliability and validity, error of measurement, etc. 

As an example, a person whose dominant traits are passivity, dependency, risk-avoidant (all measurable with more or less reliability depending on the instrument(s) used), is not likely to do well as a submarine captain, CEO, or police officer, etc., or any position that requires different traits.  This is not a question or issue of anyone’s personality theory as to what kinds people there are, but the accuracy and reliability of the measurement of behavioral and emotional dispositions and the application of those dispositions, along with intelligence, education and specific skill-set training, to some social or occupational position.  I’ve recommended both hiring, retention or not hiring or retention decisions for, for instance, a nuclear power plant operator, based on measured dispositions.

What we do know about personalities is that they tend to be lifelong, not to change much across decades, and have nothing to do with choice.

Signature 

Religion is good for one thing: making you feel better while someone else rules you.  Religion is more a reflection than a cause of conflicts. The causes lie in conflicting cultural mores and traits.

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

A N. A little condescending there sara? His book will be an instant best seller, but you won’t buy it because you know better?

I am not his intended audience.  If it is to be a best seller, he has to appeal to younger to middle-aged women who miss Oprah and buy self-help books.  If his intention is to compete with other personality tests like Myers-Briggs or the DSM, then he better refrain from including words like “archetypes”.

Maybe I’m just pouting because I think I may have a co-dependent personality disorder, with a dash of shadow.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
saralynn - 15 January 2012 07:37 AM

A N. A little condescending there sara? His book will be an instant best seller, but you won’t buy it because you know better?

I am not his intended audience.  If it is to be a best seller, he has to appeal to younger to middle-aged women who miss Oprah and buy self-help books.  If his intention is to compete with other personality tests like Myers-Briggs or the DSM, then he better refrain from including words like “archetypes”.

Maybe I’m just pouting because I think I may have a co-dependent personality disorder, with a dash of shadow.

The DSM is not a personality test, it is a system of categorizing psychiatric diagnosis in part for the use of insurance reimbursement and statistical analysis.

Signature 

Religion is good for one thing: making you feel better while someone else rules you.  Religion is more a reflection than a cause of conflicts. The causes lie in conflicting cultural mores and traits.

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Dennis: There are a number of personality constructs, perhaps one of the better ones being the 5-factor theory, as it was derived from an objective factor analysis rather than from some a priori theory.  However, the issue is the utility or predictive ability of any personality construct, math models notwithstanding.  We know from observations across decades of a person’s life that people’s particular syndrome of traits, such as described by the MMPI, tend to remain dominant throughout that person’s life.  The etiology of those syndromes remains largely conjectural, it is most likely a combination of genetics and conditioning; no matter, much past the age of 6 or so, the basic dominant traits become evident and stay that way throughout life.  If and as any formulation of dominant traits, any “model,” is objective and reliable and has some use in both selection, management and prediction of individuals, then it is useful.  Something like the 16PF, CPI, MMPI, Personality Research Form, and others can be of some use in making decisions about people.  The “number” of “basic types” is perhaps arbitrary, but likely finite, I’ve seen that go from 5 to 18, with various subtypes.  Again, the ways any types are measured need to be subject to the usual test construction criteria of reliability and validity, error of measurement, etc. 

As an example, a person whose dominant traits are passivity, dependency, risk-avoidant (all measurable with more or less reliability depending on the instrument(s) used), is not likely to do well as a submarine captain, CEO, or police officer, etc., or any position that requires different traits.  This is not a question or issue of anyone’s personality theory as to what kinds people there are, but the accuracy and reliability of the measurement of behavioral and emotional dispositions and the application of those dispositions, along with intelligence, education and specific skill-set training, to some social or occupational position.  I’ve recommended both hiring, retention or not hiring or retention decisions for, for instance, a nuclear power plant operator, based on measured dispositions.

What we do know about personalities is that they tend to be lifelong, not to change much across decades, and have nothing to do with choice.

I am convinced that I could outwit any personality test there is just by pretending to be someone I am not.  For this reason, I don’t think they are very useful as screening devices for employment. 

Personal interviews are a must.  After my first nervous giggle and too-eager smile, even a dimwit could tell that I would not do well as a submarine captain or police officer.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

I am convinced that I could outwit any personality test there is just by pretending to be someone I am not.  For this reason, I don’t think they are very useful as screening devices for employment.

Personal interviews are a must.  After my first nervous giggle and too-eager smile, even a dimwit could tell that I would not do well as a submarine captain or police officer.

Wrong.  It turns out the best predictors, when available, are a person’s cohort’s ratings of that person; next most predictive are personality tests, least predictive was psychiatric interviews (Peace Corps, assessment development work, late 1960s).

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Dennis: The DSM is not a personality test, it is a system of categorizing psychiatric diagnosis in part for the use of insurance reimbursement and statistical analysis.

I am aware of that. I expressed myself carelessly.

BTW….Many of my students have been diagnosed with “Oppositional Disorder”.  Ha!  The diagnosis should read…“Bratty as a result of poor parenting.”
Just joking….but you get my point.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Dennis: Wrong.  It turns out the best predictors, when available, are a person’s cohort’s ratings of that person; next most predictive are personality tests, least predictive was psychiatric interviews (Peace Corps, assessment development work, late 1960s).

At first I was surprised, but now after I’ve thought about it a bit, it makes perfect sense.  I know many people who are wonderful at impersonation.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-14

Dennis Campbell: being in the field of psychology yourself what do you think of my theory?

Posted: 15 January 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8355
Joined  2004-12-24
Dennis Campbell - 15 January 2012 07:51 AM

Wrong.  It turns out the best predictors, when available, are a person’s cohort’s ratings of that person; next most predictive are personality tests, least predictive was psychiatric interviews (Peace Corps, assessment development work, late 1960s).

That suggests to me there’s just not a very reliable means to screen potential employees, but I guess that could be mitigated in the case of cohort ratings by things like cross-screening the personalities involved (screening the screeners for reliability as well as the screenee), or by restricting input to only cohorts on an equal or superior level in the organizational hierarchy.

Signature 

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”—Albert Einstein

Posted: 15 January 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
Kimani - 15 January 2012 08:00 AM

Dennis Campbell: being in the field of psychology yourself what do you think of my theory?

As said, the issues for any personality theory include: (1)  the reliability and accuracy of the measures, (2) the usefulness in making practical decisions about people in relation to (3) specific conditions towards which those predictions are directed.  That said, my impression is that you’ve used a of words w/o any clear references to measurement procedures or applications.  References to “math” somehow predicting personality types makes no sense to me at all.  Nice try, I’m not buying it.  But continue the sales pitch.

An example of applied “personality theory” work comes to mind.  That had nothing to do with the DSM.  During and after WW-II, the Air Force sought pilot candidates for training.  Quite reasonably, they required young men in excellent health, with good reflexes and vision, a HS education or better, etc.  They found the washout rate was very high, even so, and training is very expensive.  So they launched a complicated program to measure everything they could, and correlated those measures with eventual pilot training success rate.  I cannot here list the many measures they used, but the AF ended up greatly increasing success rates.  The personality of people more likely to be successful as pilots was much more detailed than was considered or known at first, and not based on some a priori theory.  That syndrome does not fit into the DSM at all, as the DSM is for psychiatric conditions as said above. 

You have a set of “independent” variables, including the syndrome of behavioral and emotional dispositions called a “personality,” intelligence, education, and anything else than can be measured, and then you have a set of “Dependent” variables that you’re correlating with, the conditions of which also need to be clearly articulated.  Absent either of those, then all we’re doing is writing pretty words on a screen.  This OP’s proposed “personality theory” strikes me as rhetorical blather, but if and as it serves some useful purpose not explicated here, then it may have some value.

[ Edited: 15 January 2012 08:48 AM by Dennis Campbell ]
 Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-14

The math aspect of it is that I have divided six archetypes into three sets. The two archetypes in each set are then equivalent to several disorders.

When you say applications do you mean some sort of beneficial use that this theory could provide? Well I imagined that if you applied certain specific archetypes to people like in my theory you could better understand what their issues are and so better help and treat them.

Posted: 15 January 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Something like the 16PF, CPI, MMPI, Personality Research Form, and others can be of some use in making decisions about people.  The “number” of “basic types” is perhaps arbitrary, but likely finite, I’ve seen that go from 5 to 18, with various subtypes.  Again, the ways any types are measured need to be subject to the usual test construction criteria of reliability and validity, error of measurement, etc. 

There are obviously basic types and subtypes of personalities, but the wonderful thing is how unique each person is.  I recognized this when I tried to describe my mother to someone.  I could give a visual description….she preferred to combine checkered stretchpants with multi-colored blouses ,  an anecdotal description…she never cleaned her car and debris used to fly around when she rolled down the window, and an analysis of her character from various perspectives….“my mom was a beloved embarrassment”, but….how to capture HER is utterly impossible.  I think it is fascinating that I am me and you are you.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
Kimani - 15 January 2012 08:50 AM

The math aspect of it is that I have divided six archetypes into three sets. The two archetypes in each set are then equivalent to several disorders.

When you say applications do you mean some sort of beneficial use that this theory could provide? Well I imagined that if you applied certain specific archetypes to people like in my theory you could better understand what their issues are and so better help and treat them.

So who cares if by some arcane math they’re “equivalent”?! 

Math can be used to understand the human condition. Metaphysics and modern psychology are explored using a formula. This formula transcends those beliefs.

This is to me a useless and obscuring line of words that approximates what some of us here call “woo.”

The task, perhaps, is to derive based on objective observations and measures, some finite population of differing personality types.  Not based on Jung, Freud, or anyone else.  Again, the 5-factor model does that to some degree.  Then the task is to evolve tools by which those can be measured or identified.  All of that is useless unless the whole mess has some practical applications in making decisions about people, such as some of the examples I posted above and others.  The etiology of any personality syndrome remains a quite different set of questions, one probably derived from genetics and conditioning, but that’s my conjecture.  “Understanding what their issues are….” is quite legitimate but rooted as well in the whole morass of what therapy is, limitations are, and goals.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
saralynn - 15 January 2012 08:59 AM

Something like the 16PF, CPI, MMPI, Personality Research Form, and others can be of some use in making decisions about people.  The “number” of “basic types” is perhaps arbitrary, but likely finite, I’ve seen that go from 5 to 18, with various subtypes.  Again, the ways any types are measured need to be subject to the usual test construction criteria of reliability and validity, error of measurement, etc. 

There are obviously basic types and subtypes of personalities, but the wonderful thing is how unique each person is.  I recognized this when I tried to describe my mother to someone.  I could give a visual description….she preferred to combine checkered stretchpants with multi-colored blouses ,  an anecdotal description…she never cleaned her car and debris used to fly around when she rolled down the window, and an analysis of her character from various perspectives….“my mom was a beloved embarrassment”, but….how to capture HER is utterly impossible.  I think it is fascinating that I am me and you are you.

Well, most here would agree, Sara, that you are also a unique, and often delightful, personality.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Kimani: The math aspect of it is that I have divided six archetypes into three sets. The two archetypes in each set are then equivalent to several disorders.

The professionals who use the DSM are not going to use your analysis because the terms you use are too fanciful. They may be descriptive, but they are more literary than scientific and doctors and psychologists who want to be taken seriously would reject them for that reason alone.  The Jungians or Rogerians might find them useful, but they are declining in number.  At least I think they are.  Who knows, with the large number of the neurotic New-Agers seeking “professional” help these days.  My tenant has a therapist who consults astrological tables before their sessions.  “The problem with your daughter is that she was born under a bad sign”.  (This a true story.  Can you believe it?  My tenant was delighted because she was feeling guilty about her bad parenting skills.  No worry! The kid’s doomed!)

I have several criticism of the DSM, but I will save it for another thread.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-14

I work in the public school system and there was a seminar I had to attend back in late August where they were trying to apply the Myers Briggs method to teaching methods and educating methods. They were showing how certain Myers Briggs types can make you a more effective teacher in some ways. It made me wonder if my concept could be used in the same way. Is that the type of application you are talking about?

[ Edited: 15 January 2012 09:23 AM by Kimani ]

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-29

Well, most here would agree, Sara, that you are also a unique, and often delightful, personality.

Aw shucks, Dennis.  Thanks.

BTW….My taste in clothes far surpasses my mother’s.  There is a vast difference between my wardrobe of rainbow-colored sweatpants and those ugly stretch pants of the 50’s…..right?  I can’t understand why my friends and relatives keep recommending that I watch the reality show…“What not to Wear”.

Signature 

1 of 4