Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

1 of 2
The Harris Forum Spam Problem Is Over
Posted: 04 December 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3000
Joined  2005-02-22

The situation next door at the SH Forum has grown far beyond what three guys can handle with delete buttons. Last week, in one day of spam slaughter, we deleted 500+ posts. We can’t do that every day.

We have requested the same admin status there that we enjoy here at PR.

We await the word from the Ubers as to the fate of the SH Forum.

UPDATE DEC 16th:

Your humble Harris Forum Administrator is pleased and relieved to announce that normal operations have resumed at the Sam Harris Forum. Over 26,000 spams (that’s when I stopped adding) have been deleted. Dozens of spammer have been banned. Hundreds of IP’s have been cut off. (all started with 60, 61, or 222)

All threads have been reopened for your arguing pleasure.

In Memory of Hitch, The Harris Forum will also be defended and maintained.

[ Edited: 16 December 2011 03:42 AM by Nhoj Morley ]
 Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 05 December 2011 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3980
Joined  2010-08-18
Nhoj Morley - 04 December 2011 09:15 PM

The situation next door at the SH Forum has grown far beyond what three guys can handle with delete buttons. Last week, in one day of spam slaughter, we deleted 500+ posts. We can’t do that every day.

We have requested the same admin status there that we enjoy here at PR.

We await the word from the Ubers as to the fate of the SH Forum.

Are they mostly spambots Nhoj, they must be surely, I know you can ban I.P. address’s on P.R. from what you’ve said before, is that what your currently unable to do on S.H. forum?

When I’ve googled the I.P.‘s of spambots before, many seem to come from mainland Europe, Bulgaria and those type of places, it’s possible that because of the time differences they are posting during your night, although you seem to keep some long hours at times I have noticed.

We share the responsibility between us on my forum. One Admin in Arizona and myself in UK seem to cover it all pretty well, catering for the time differences. Looks like you could be being targeted by someone with real intentions to cause chaos I reckon. Hope you get it sorted ok and gain the powers you need….

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 05 December 2011 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

It makes for a strange turing test. I think in the aggregious cases, they are people. I got a PM from one once.

We are letting the spam pile up until the ubers ban them (I sent a list… a long list) or until they give us the ban buttons back.

I call it Occupy the Harris Forum. The 99% of posters there are spammers. We 1%’ers need the authorization to move in with the big guns and clear them out. Peppering them with delete buttons was ineffective.

Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 05 December 2011 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18

Mostly people then Nhoj, Ugg boots must be in big supply at present then.

If you post on SH forum, do you get a free heads up on twitter or anywhere else, I know some forums have that type of link.

It’s got to be really frustrating, lets hope you get some 9mm soon instead of the bbgun ammo you currently have to use.

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 05 December 2011 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8668
Joined  2004-12-24

I’ll volunteer to help out over there if that’s an option, and if so it’s also an option that sounds good to yous.

I’ll be perfectly okay with it if either or both of those things are no-gos too though.

Signature 

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”—Albert Einstein

Posted: 05 December 2011 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18
SkepticX - 05 December 2011 05:37 AM

I’ll volunteer to help out over there if that’s an option, and if so it’s also an option that sounds good to yous.

I’ll be perfectly okay with it if either or both of those things are no-gos too though.

I had thought the same Skep, but the problem is they can’t ban the buggers, so they just keep re-posting, what a nightmare.

Signature 

shock

Posted: 05 December 2011 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
MARTIN UK - 05 December 2011 05:45 AM
SkepticX - 05 December 2011 05:37 AM

I had thought the same Skep, but the problem is they can’t ban the buggers, so they just keep re-posting, what a nightmare.

Well, that sounds like the problem, yeah. It also sounds like a problem they need help with, even if only until it’s resolved more effectively. Sounds like they can’t just let the SPAM go until the real issue is fixed or the board would be totally overrun, so now, more than any time, is when they need help.

But as I said, I really won’t be upset if the offer isn’t gonna work out for whatever reason ...  cool smile

Signature 

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”—Albert Einstein

Posted: 05 December 2011 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6363
Joined  2006-06-15
SkepticX - 05 December 2011 05:56 AM

Sounds like they can’t just let the SPAM go until the real issue is fixed or the board would be totally overrun…

(Andrew):  The idea at this point is to let the spam pile up so the super-admins understand the problem and will either stick around and ban them until things are more manageable or give us the button so we can do it.

Signature 

“More than at any time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.  One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. 
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly”—Woody Allen

Posted: 05 December 2011 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
Andrew - 05 December 2011 06:04 AM
SkepticX - 05 December 2011 05:56 AM

Sounds like they can’t just let the SPAM go until the real issue is fixed or the board would be totally overrun…

(Andrew):  The idea at this point is to let the spam pile up so the super-admins understand the problem and will either stick around and ban them until things are more manageable or give us the button so we can do it.

Force the system ... a time-honored strategy.

Sounds like it may be the best way to go, given the history of these issues in both forums.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2011 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12010
Joined  2007-03-11

I get the impression that the captain and first mate have abandoned ship.

Posted: 06 December 2011 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18

It does look very grim over there in the blue zone.

Signature 

shock

Posted: 08 December 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18

Has it been dealt with now you guys??

Signature 

shock

Posted: 08 December 2011 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6363
Joined  2006-06-15
MARTIN UK - 08 December 2011 11:39 AM

(Andrew):  I’m not sure what you mean, but nothing’s changed that I can see.  Still loaded with spam, and Nhoh Morley and I are still just moderators.

Signature 

“More than at any time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.  One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. 
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly”—Woody Allen

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18
Andrew - 08 December 2011 11:49 AM
MARTIN UK - 08 December 2011 11:39 AM

(Andrew):  I’m not sure what you mean, but nothing’s changed that I can see.  Still loaded with spam, and Nhoh Morley and I are still just moderators.

I just had a glimpse earlier and didn’t think I could see any UGG stuff, I didn’t look closely so obviously I was mistaken, no change to the spam or to your own position.

Signature 

shock

Posted: 16 December 2011 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-22

Your humble Harris Forum Administrator is pleased and relieved to announce that normal operations have resumed at the Sam Harris Forum. Over 26,000 spams (that’s when I stopped adding) have been deleted. Dozens of spammer have been banned. Hundreds of IP’s have been cut off. (all started with 60, 61, or 222)

All threads have been reopened for your arguing pleasure.

In Memory of Hitch, The Harris Forum will also be defended and maintained.

[ Edited: 16 December 2011 03:41 AM by Nhoj Morley ]
 Signature 

Delude responsibly.

Posted: 16 December 2011 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23

Great news, Nhoj.

Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

1 of 2

‹‹ The Forum Guidelines      Checkin’ out ››