Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

Four words -  four clues
Posted: 27 October 2011 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2902
Joined  2006-02-20

Four words -  four clues:

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

clue  n  2 :    something that guides through an intricate procedure or maze of difficulties;  specif  :  a piece of evidence that leads one toward the solution of a problem (Webster)

Signature 

“Convictions are more enemies of truth than lies.”  -  Charles Lewis

Posted: 27 October 2011 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8574
Joined  2006-12-17
unsmoked - 27 October 2011 09:18 AM

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

clue  n  2 :    something that guides through an intricate procedure or maze of difficulties;  specif  :  a piece of evidence that leads one toward the solution of a problem (Webster)

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

Posted: 28 October 2011 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3865
Joined  2010-08-18

Meditation…

Try to be relaxed...Breath normally...Empty your mind…Remain quiet

then set your alarm or you will sleep through your favourite programmes.  shut eye

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
burt - 27 October 2011 10:45 AM

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

Burt, if you had been there you could have saved the cat.  Martin, you can’t try to be relaxed.  More zazen.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18
unsmoked - 28 October 2011 09:33 AM

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

Burt, if you had been there you could have saved the cat.  Martin, you can’t try to be relaxed.  More zazen.

I know I can’t, but how did you know…??

Signature 

All right, no one is to stone ANYONE until I blow this whistle! Even… and let me make this absolutely clear… even if they do say “Jehovah”!

shock

Posted: 28 October 2011 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
MARTIN UK - 28 October 2011 09:47 AM

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

When you can swallow the Mississippi in one gulp I’ll tell you.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2011 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18
unsmoked - 28 October 2011 11:13 AM
MARTIN UK - 28 October 2011 09:47 AM

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

When you can swallow the Mississippi in one gulp I’ll tell you.

Oh…might have to wait a while in that case…  confused

Signature 

shock

Posted: 28 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18

“suspending all judgemental thinking and letting words, ideas, images and thoughts pass by without getting involved in them.”

I try to empty my mind of all thoughts, but to allow them to pass by without getting involved must take some mastering.

Signature 

shock

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
MARTIN UK - 28 October 2011 12:38 PM

“suspending all judgemental thinking and letting words, ideas, images and thoughts pass by without getting involved in them.”

I try to empty my mind of all thoughts, but to allow them to pass by without getting involved must take some mastering.

A Zen master once said, “It’s like walking through a village where all the wells are poisoned.  You don’t allow a single drop to touch your lips.”

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2011 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-18
unsmoked - 28 October 2011 09:05 PM

A Zen master once said, “It’s like walking through a village where all the wells are poisoned.  You don’t allow a single drop to touch your lips.”

They are wise words indeed, I suppose I must lack the control over my thoughts on that level, shame really, being a witness to your thoughts opposed to being the originator must deliver real objectivity, which we can all lack at times.

Signature 

shock

Posted: 29 October 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
MARTIN UK - 29 October 2011 12:44 AM

They are wise words indeed, I suppose I must lack the control over my thoughts on that level, shame really, being a witness to your thoughts opposed to being the originator must deliver real objectivity, which we can all lack at times.

A related Zen expression, aimed at our idea that we can dabble with our thoughts without getting swept away by them is, “Like a snowflake landing on a red hot stove!” 

Or, “One thought about it and you fly into hell like an arrow!”  shut eye

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8574
Joined  2006-12-17

relaxed

normal

empty

quiet

Relaxed he was
In his normal way
An empty scotch
and a quiet smoke
to contemplate
the end of day.

Burt, if you had been there you could have saved the cat.

But that would have killed the rat.

Posted: 31 January 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4385
Joined  2006-10-20
MARTIN UK - 29 October 2011 12:44 AM

My favorite zen lesson is from the American baseball great, Yogi Berra.  He explains that he was in a hitting slump so he increased his batting practice.  The batting coach told him to think about hitting the ball.  He struck out on three straight pitches, then realized, “You can’t think and hit at the same time.”

Thoughts wreck things.  Just be.