Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

4 of 4
All those members who never post or visit
Posted: 14 September 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2011-01-21
Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 14 September 2011 08:15 AM

SKEP: I’ll second your “fuck them”

Yup, that’s the important bit, Skep. Never fear anyone. Whether you are gay or straight, stand up to intimidation, look ‘em in the eye, stare ‘em down. Let ‘em throw the first punch. What the assholes don’t know is that you are ready for it, that you’ll block it and smack them down where they stand, physically or intellectually. Never be afraid. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Fuck ‘em.

Cheers

Rob

And on the flip side, don’t be intimidated by those you admire either.  I’ve never learned more than when I have engaged with the smartest people I know.

Signature 

When all possible events can only serve to confirm what you already believed was true in the first place, it should be clear to all that you are not concerned with your beliefs reflecting reality as it is.  Rather, your concern is with attempting to make reality conform with what you arbitrarily think it should be.

Posted: 14 September 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23

I agree. But smart people do not need to intimidate. They can convince us by reasoned argument. Admiration is not prerequisite. That comes comes after the argument. Do you think I liked Sam because he was cute? No way! He could have the biggest dick and the cutest face and none of that would move me unless he had argumetns that trumped them both.

[ Edited: 14 September 2011 10:06 AM by Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) ]
 Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

Posted: 14 September 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2011-01-21

Sure.  Though, there’s a difference between a person being intentionally intimidating (being a dick) as opposed to people being intimidated by them simply due to the sheer power of their intellect and/or knowledge.  The latter seems to be what Un-Tarded was referring to, and what I was attempting to speak to in my post.

Signature 

When all possible events can only serve to confirm what you already believed was true in the first place, it should be clear to all that you are not concerned with your beliefs reflecting reality as it is.  Rather, your concern is with attempting to make reality conform with what you arbitrarily think it should be.

Posted: 14 September 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23

Mathew, if newbies are intimidated by the “sheer power of others’ intellect and/or knowledge” we should un-intimidat them. They may not have had the opportunity to go to university. But intelligence is not strained. Maybe they have something worthwhile to say. Perhaps something more original than your average old dyed in the wool Phd grandaddy.  If not, they’ll go away.

Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

Posted: 12 February 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-12-28

Looking for a helping hand. I’m new to project reason and want to be more involved on the sight. Email of new threads would help; but, I’m still not sure exactly where to jump in and become part of things. I am working on a video for this years contest but it would be great to be involved in discussions or events when possible.

Signature 

“The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posted: 12 February 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6363
Joined  2006-06-15
atheos85 - 12 February 2012 06:34 AM

Looking for a helping hand. I’m new to project reason and want to be more involved on the sight. Email of new threads would help; but, I’m still not sure exactly where to jump in and become part of things. I am working on a video for this years contest but it would be great to be involved in discussions or events when possible.

(Andrew): Hi, atheos85-
The introduction forum may be a better place to get started.  You can sign up for email notification of threads that you’re involved in. 
Welcome to the asylum.

Signature 

“More than at any time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.  One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. 
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly”—Woody Allen

Posted: 18 February 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-12-28

Thanks Andrew, I’m going to check it out now.

Signature 

“The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes

4 of 4