Project Reason is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. The foundation draws on the talents of prominent and creative thinkers in a wide range of disciplines to encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

1 of 2
Truth and Consequences
Posted: 01 June 2011 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2010-07-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2013 12:15 AM by stardust91977 ]

Posted: 01 June 2011 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11689
Joined  2008-02-15

Is that supposed to be meaningful or inspiring?

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
The Way of the Mister, Vol. 1: Reparative Therapy

Posted: 01 June 2011 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6698
Joined  2008-05-23

“I then beg you to pacify my soul.”
  “Produce it, and I shall do so.”

Wise indeed.  But 9 years sitting in front of a wall? A severed hand just to arrive at this obvious truth? Still, I guess it was not obvious in those days.

Signature 

Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Nietzsche

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11689
Joined  2008-02-15
Die fröhliche Wissenschaft - 01 June 2011 07:56 AM

Wise indeed.  But 9 years sitting in front of a wall? A severed hand just to arrive at this obvious truth? Still, I guess it was not obvious in those days.

Indeed, who would be inspired by such fools.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
The Way of the Mister, Vol. 1: Reparative Therapy

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2011-05-10

[ Edited: 14 July 2011 06:46 AM by [account removed] ]

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-23

Yup, maybe some folks just need to suffer more intensely and for longer than others before they get it. IMO, our job, as moral beings, is to try to reduce the intensity and length of their suffering. I think real knowledge born of rationality is the best way to do that; the best way to help them see the truth faster.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2011 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8927
Joined  2006-12-17
Black Heart General - 01 June 2011 08:28 AM
Die fröhliche Wissenschaft - 01 June 2011 07:56 AM

Sometimes the difference between knowing and understanding is measured in time and suffering.

“Ignorance is servitude and knowledge brings hope, but only understanding is freedom.”  Idries Shah

Posted: 02 June 2011 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2013 12:15 AM by stardust91977 ]

Posted: 02 June 2011 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2013 12:16 AM by stardust91977 ]

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2011-05-10

[ Edited: 14 July 2011 06:46 AM by [account removed] ]

Posted: 02 June 2011 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-23
stardust91977 - 02 June 2011 08:24 PM

Ok, that was a complete over-reaction. I’m sorry.

Just lost a fight to save to a patient from being moved from their house to a rack ass nursing facility and was being pissy.

Again. I’m sorry.

It’s OK, Star. We all have bad days. But do remember that those who work in labs are human, too, they suffer and have bad days and all the other normal probelms others have. Before I was a lawyer I was a teacher and before that I was a nurse so I have seen a bit of suffering myself. My hope is that I will never end up in a long nursing facility. I have my plans in place to avoid such a horrid end. Death should be accomplished quickly, simply and painlessly.

Have a good day.

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8210
Joined  2010-01-29

I just lost my battle to help a friend whose husband is hospitalized with Alzheimers.  His life isn’t miserable enough, and the doctors want to give him chemotherapy for his newly diagnosed cancer.  It’s turned into a big legal mess.

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 03 June 2011 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2013 12:18 AM by stardust91977 ]

Posted: 03 June 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2013 12:17 AM by stardust91977 ]

Posted: 03 June 2011 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8210
Joined  2010-01-29

Stardust: If I recall correctly, you used to be a caregiver and went through a burnout, didn’t you?

Long story, but, I led a support group for people with mental illness of one kind or another.  I didn’t burn out.  I became emotionally involved with many of the members of the group, and when one killed himself, I crashed and burned. . It’s more complicated than that, but that’s the basic story.  I wish I had a tougher personality because society’s treatment of the mentally ill is disgraceful and I’d like to get involved in hospital care programs, but I don’t have the emotional strength to do it.  I’d like to help people recognize that they are not powerless…that there are techniques and strategies for dealing with mental illness if you can learn detachment and objectivity. I would stress cognitive therapy, meditation, and fellowhip with other sufferers….sort of like AA.  Of course, this would not work with extremely deranged people, but, it would help many patients who are plagued by symptoms, but who are nevertheless capable of recognizing they have an illness, but are not their illness.  From my experience, all that is done for the mentally ill is give them medication, then send them out the door.

As for the Alzheimer’s victim with cancer…the patient is not cabable of making the decision to undergo treatment and his wife is also frail and has recurring bouts with mental illness, so she is not considered competent.  As you may have guessed, this woman is one of the people iwho was in my group. So, they are going to give him chemo because it is against the law not to treat someone.  Crazy. He’s miserable as it is, crying to go home every day.  Now he is going to be sick and confused.  Sounds like Hell to me and it just doesn’t make sense. considering that he is elderly.  Where are those death panels when you need them?

Signature 

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.

Posted: 03 June 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12003
Joined  2007-03-11
Sigh - 03 June 2011 08:29 AM

Stardust: If I recall correctly, you used to be a caregiver and went through a burnout, didn’t you?

Long story, but, I led a support group for people with mental illness of one kind or another.  I didn’t burn out.  I became emotionally involved with many of the members of the group, and when one killed himself, I crashed and burned. . It’s more complicated than that, but that’s the basic story.  I wish I had a tougher personality because society’s treatment of the mentally ill is disgraceful and I’d like to get involved in hospital care programs, but I don’t have the emotional strength to do it.  I’d like to help people recognize that they are not powerless…that there are techniques and strategies for dealing with mental illness if you can learn detachment and objectivity. I would stress cognitive therapy, meditation, and fellowhip with other sufferers….sort of like AA.  Of course, this would not work with extremely deranged people, but, it would help many patients who are plagued by symptoms, but who are nevertheless capable of recognizing they have an illness, but are not their illness.  From my experience, all that is done for the mentally ill is give them medication, then send them out the door.

As for the Alzheimer’s victim with cancer…the patient is not cabable of making the decision to undergo treatment and his wife is also frail and has recurring bouts with mental illness, so she is not considered competent.  As you may have guessed, this woman is one of the people iwho was in my group. So, they are going to give him chemo because it is against the law not to treat someone.  Crazy. He’s miserable as it is, crying to go home every day.  Now he is going to be sick and confused.  Sounds like Hell to me and it just doesn’t make sense. considering that he is elderly.  Where are those death panels when you need them?

Kevorkian, who just died, had it right. There is a time when ending one’s own life simply becomes the right thing to do.

1 of 2

‹‹ Woo?      Buddha Mind? ››